As we close out the first month of 2017, we thought it appropriate to briefly review the cases which caught our eye in 2016 in 140 characters or less:
- Wilson v. Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., 2016 SCC 29 – @SCC_eng confirms Federally regulated employers cannot be dismissed without cause.
- Paquette v. TeraGo Networks Inc., 2016 ONCA 618 / Lin v. Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, 2016 ONCA 619 – Requirement of “Active Employment” on payout date without something more is not enough to limit employee’s bonus entitlement over notice period.
- Oudin v. Centre Francophone de Toronto, 2016 ONCA 514 – ONCA upholds less than perfect termination provision that does not contemplate the continuation of benefits.
- Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 113 v. Toronto Transit Commission (Use of Social Media Grievance) – Beware, Twitter can be an extension of the workplace.
- Strudwick v. Applied Consumer & Clinical Evaluations Inc, 2016 ONCA 520 – Court of Appeal doubles the initial award of damages against employer for bad behaviour.
Turning to the future, we invite you to join us at our complimentary webinar on February 9, 2017 as we will be discussing the trends that employers can expect to see in 2017.
Details are available by clicking here